Significant archaelogical sites and museums with valuable collections are located in Corfu under the supervision of the H' Curator of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities (1 Vraila str., tel. 26610 38124)
BASILICA OF PALEOPOLIS
Paleopolis is located at the peninsula south to the peninsula south to the modern city, where the ancient Corfu was built. Its most important monument is the basilica of Paleopolis which was built in the 5 th century AC over the ruins of a Roman conservatory.
TEL: 26610 41367
Its most important monuments are: a) The building of the Prisons b) The central gate, c) The Romanic temple d) The English Barracks for Officers e) the Barracks of the English occupation period, f) the building of the English Hospital and g) the Church of Saint George .
TEL 26610 48310
THE PALACE OF SAINTS MICHAEL & GEORGE
It's a building of the period of the English occupation on the island. Its style is new classic and is surrounded by a garden where a statue of the English Commissioner Adam is placed.
TEL: 26610 30443
The walls dominate the northwest side of the city, over the harbor. Its construction was completed in 1588, during the period of the Venetian rule. Between the two gates of the fortress the most monumental is that towards the sea the one called “Forbidden gate”.
The archeological site is located in the suburd of Figareto Kanoniou which, during the antiquity was the suburb of workers of the ancient city. Research brought to light the laboratory in which the Corfu amphoras, idols and earthen household objects were made.
A palace built by the Empress of Austria Elisabeth in 1891 near the village Gastouri and named so, by the sculpture of the German Herter “The death of Achilles” being an ornament of its excellent courtyard. Its style is Pompeian.